Welcome to the Department of Communication Arts!
The Department of Communication Arts is committed to life-long learning through the exploration of corporate communication, mass communication, library science, and performing arts.
Some of the advantages of taking classes in this department include:
- Small class sizes of 15-20 students or less, providing opportunity for one-on-one attention.
- Face-to-face and online course opportunities.
- Internships and practicums for real-world experiences.
- Hands-on curriculum with projects that serve entities on campus and in the community.
- Guest presentations.
- Faculty with professional experience as well as the highest degree in their area.
- Service and experiential learning experiences.
- Opportunities to present research locally and regionally.
Our Programs Include
Masters of Education in Library and Information Technologies
Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science in Professional Communication, with concentrations in
Digital Media Management
Library Media and Information Science
Speech, Communication, and Theatre
These are areas in which developed skills play a vital role in the success of our graduates.
Each year, four theatrical productions give students an opportunity to participate in this rewarding activity and provide the entire community with opportunities for cultural enrichment. VCSU offers outstanding facilities for these productions including Vangstad Auditorium
, a historic facility with a capacity of about 850, and Theatre 320
, a contemporary "black box" theatre with historic and elegant features.
What in the World is Going On
is a series of provocative discussions on films, books, speakers or current issues that are organized by members of the department in conjunction with community members.