The Office of Human Resources and Payroll performs criminal background checks on all potential employees prior to their date of hire.
VCSU is insured by a fidelity bond that covers losses arising from embezzlement, or the want of honesty, integrity, or fidelity by an employee or other person holding a position of trust.
- Staff who have access to HR and payroll data have received training that non-directory information regarding employees is not to be provided unless approved in writing by the employee.
- The student is required to give written authorization to the Business Office if their information is permitted to be shared with another party. A FERPA disclosure statement is distributed to students each year informing them of their rights under FERPA. The student is given the opportunity to provide billing addresses for third party billing.
- Occasionally, the University will extend short term credit to a student for payment of their tuition bill or other items which thus creates a covered account. The student signs a short term promissory note, which is stored in a secured area.
- The University will allow students to enroll in a payment plan to pay their tuition bill or other items over the time period of the current semester which thus creates a covered account. The student signs a Payment Plan Enrollment form, which is stored in a secured area.
- Access data in VCSU's ConnectND system is restricted to those employees of the University with a need to know and for proper performance of their duties. These employees receive training related to FERPA and 'Red Flag' regulations.
- Social Security numbers are not used as identification numbers and this data is classified as confidential.
- All paper files, when not in use, must be stored in locked filing cabinets. All offices must be secured during normal business hours and, when not occupied, are to be locked.
- Access to confidential employee data in VCSU' s Human Resources and Payroll systems and offices is restricted to only those employees who have a need to know and for proper execution of their job functions. These employees receive training related to FERPA and 'Red Flag' regulations.
- Employees are requested to report all changes in name, address, telephone or marital status to the Payroll Office as soon as possible; they must periodically verify those persons listed as contacts in case of an emergency. Students are requested to report all changes in name, address, telephone or marital status to the Registrar's Office as soon as possible; they must periodically verify those persons listed as contacts in case of an emergency.
- The University ensures that all personal data (year of birth, emplIDs, Social Security numbers, etc.) that it maintains in its personnel files and databases is protected. VCSU will not disclose personal information, except by written request or signed permission of the employee (e.g., the Campus Directory), or unless there is a legitimate business need-to-know, or if required by law.
- Every effort is made to limit the access to confidential information to employees on campus with a legitimate need-to-know. Employees, who have been approved access to the administrative information databases, understand that they are restricted to using the information obtained only in the conduct of their job functions. The inappropriate use of such access and/or use of administrative data may result in disciplinary action up to, and including, dismissal from the University.
- The University's official personnel files for all staff are retained in the Office of Human Resources. Official personnel files for faculty are retained in the President's Office. Official personnel files for adjunct faculty are retained in the Academic Affairs Office.
- Any information classified as confidential contained within the personnel file remains confidential. Employees have the right to review the information contained in their personnel file.
- Personnel records are classified as open records according the North Dakota Century Code (Ref: N.D.C.C. 44-04-18.1 (2)).