Faculty, students, and staff participate in shared governance through a variety of committees and advisory groups. These committees are divided into two groups: those that are structured by the Faculty Association constitution and report to the Faculty Association; and those that are designed to meet administrative needs and report to the administrative office that developed them.
A. Faculty Association Committees are described in the Faculty Association Constitution, available in VCSU policy V201. These committees include the following:
- Faculty Senate
- Curriculum Committee
- Graduate Council
- Welfare Committee
- Standing Committee on Faculty Rights
- Budget & Salary Committee
- Teacher Education Committee
- Council of College Faculties
- Diversity Waiver Selection Committee
- Financial Aid Committee
- Library Committee
- Academic & Scholastic Standing Committee
- Athletic Committee
- Constitutional Review Committee
- Online Standards Committee
Committee structure varies by committee, with either divisional representation or elected representatives; in most cases, a faculty member chairs the committee and the administrators assigned to the committee participate ex-officio. The organization, identification of chair, and voting rights for each committee are outlined in the Faculty Association Constitution (V201).
B. Administrative Committee and Advisory Groups are usually chaired by an administrator and do not necessarily have divisional representation. The following are University Committees:
- Executive Team: Forum for administrative coordination and communication. COMPOSITION: President, VPAA, VPBA, VPSA, CIO, SEGS Dean, Director of Enrollment Services, Director of Athletics, Director of Marketing, Director of Advancement.
- Academic Policy and Affairs Council: Develops and reviews policies that are directly or indirectly related to the University's curriculum, academic policies, and academic programs and policy decisions in: academic standards, development of the library, student conduct and discipline, and faculty tenure and promotion. COMPOSITION: Division chairs. Chaired by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Admissions Appeals Committee: Reviews student appeals for admission to the University. COMPOSITION: Director of Enrollment Services, Registrar, Director of Student Academic Services, two faculty representatives selected by Faculty Association.
- Campus Inter-Functional Team (CIFT): Develop, implement, and review student service among the administrative functions to best serve student needs. Coordinate the administration of student information within the ConnectND system. As a partner in the accomplishment of university strategic goals, review campus initiatives and provide administrative perspective regarding the management of those initiatives within the administrative system and structure. COMPOSITION: VPAA, VPSA, VPBA; Director & Administrative Assistant of Graduate Studies; Staff of Business, Enrollment Services, Financial Aid, and Registrar's Offices; Directors of Human Resources, Student Academic Services, Graduate School; CIO; one faculty representative selected by Faculty Senate; one student representative selected by Student Senate.
- Cultural Diversity Committee: Evaluates, strategizes, and promotes programs, policies, and practices that support diversity and offer multicultural opportunities for faculty, staff, and students. COMPOSITION: VPSA, Registrar, Financial Aid, Career Services, HR, Divisional Representation selected by the division/school, and 2 student reps selected by Student Senate.
- Faculty Development Committee: Advises VPAA office on funding requests relating to faculty development, travel, and research. COMPOSITION: VPAA/Assistant VPAA, one representative from each division/school selected by the division/school for two year terms (SEGS/FA select in even years, MSHPE/BIT/CASS select in odd years.
- Institutional Review Board: Safeguards the rights of human subjects in research, development, or related activities undertaken by members of the university community; the Board must review and approve all such proposed activity. COMPOSITION: Director of Graduate Studies (Chair), Administration Rep (appointed by President, in consultation with VPAA), Community Rep, Medical Rep, Divisional representation selected by division/school, and faculty at large (1) selected by Faculty Association.
- Judicial Council: Hears appeals from VPSA decisions regarding violations of the Student Code of Conduct and hearings on judicial matters. COMPOSITION: Two faculty appointed by the president, three students selected by Student Senate.
- Marketing Committee: A cross-functional group that advises the Director of Marketing on marketing plans and strategies. COMPOSITION: Marketing Director (chair), Graphic Designer, VPAA, Director of Graduate Studies, Advancement Office, Athletics, Enrollment Services, ITC, 2 faculty reps selected by the Marketing Director, and 1 student rep selected by Student Senate.
- President's Cabinet: Coordinate the functions and advance the best interests of Valley City State University. COMPOSITION: President, VPAA, VPBA, VPSA
- Staff Personnel Board: Conduct hearings on appeal from employees who have been suspended without pay, dismissed for cause, demoted, or dismissed due to a reduction in force (HR27) or when a regular staff employee is dissatisfied with an aspect of employment over which the employee has no control and on which remedial action is desired (HR 28). COMPOSITION: Three members appointed by the University President.
- Staff Senate: Representative of Broadbanded staff; to inform and serve. Strive to promote communication among administrators, faculty and staff. COMPOSITION: Two (2) seats/members per category: Professional, Technical/Paraprofessional/Offi ce Support, Facilities; Past President; HR Director.
- Student Grievance Committee: Resolve student academic grievances. COMPOSITION: VPAA, VPSA, 3 faculty, and 3 students selected by the VPAA and VPSA, respectively, as needed.
- Teacher Education Appeals Committee: Reviews student petitions seeking exceptions to those policies, regulations, or academic requirements of the School of Education and Graduate Studies relate to the Teacher Education Program. Committee will consider the evidence and make a recommendation in the matter. All recommendations and actions of this committee are advisory in nature to the Dean of Education who will render a final decision in a timely manner. COMPOSITION: Three faculty members from the School of Education and Graduate Studies selected by the Dean.
- Technology Advisory Committee: Annual information technology planning process and address general policies related to information technology with the purpose of applying information technology in pursuit of the institutional mission and vision. Technology plans and policy recommendations will provide guidance to Information Technology Center staff, the Executive Team, and North Dakota State technology planning activities. COMPOSITION: CIO, two student representatives selected by Student Senate, one community representative, one staff representative, one ITC representative, one EduTech representative, one faculty per division/school selected by division/school. (CASS/BIT/SEGS select even years, FA/MSHPE select odd years
- University Hearings & Appeals Board: An avenue of final appeal of a decision by a university official or by an established university committee. A hearing body in matters dealing with alleged violations of the Student Bill of Rights. COMPOSITION: One administrator, two faculty, and two students, all appointed by the president.
- University Policy Committee: To assist in the coordination, development and oversight of VCSU Policies and to ensure that the VCSU Policy Manual is complete and current. This policy brings with it a formal process for achieving its purpose. COMPOSITION: VPAA, VPSA, VPBA, 3 staff selected by staff senate, faculty senate VP, one faculty per division/school selected by division/school.
- VC Loss Control: Recommend programs and policies to promote safety, reduce risks, ensure compliance with laws and regulations, and control costs. COMPOSITION: Director of Facilities Services, 1 representative from each from area: Facilities Services, Facilities Usage, Housing, Business Office, Academic Affairs, Staff, Executive Team, one Student selected by Student Senate, and one faculty per division/school selected by division/ school and Executive Team.
- Success 2015: Review, document and assess implementation of the VCSU 2015 Strategic Plan. Review campus-wide assessment reports, including satisfaction surveys, unit reviews, and abilities assessment, and make recommendations to the President regarding budget, programs, and strategic initiatives. COMPOSITION: Divisional representation (elected b each division), director of Enrollment Services, CIO, Athletic Director, Director of Graduate Studies, Facilities representative (selected by VPBA), student body president, Registrar, VPSA, VPBA, VPAA (chair).
- Academic Assessment Committee: Review and provide direction for Ability Assessment and Learning Outcomes at all levels; oversee peer review process for program updates and reviews; maintain integrity of course evaluation process and develop policy/practices for its use. COMPOSITION: Divisional Representation (elected by each division); SEGS Director of Assessment, Director of Graduate Studies, VPAA.
Sponsored by: The President
Approved: October 2010