Faculty, students, and staff participate in shared governance through a variety of committees and advisory groups. These committees are divided into two groups: those that are structured by the Faculty Association constitution and report to the Faculty Association; and those that are designed to meet administrative needs and report to the administrative office that developed them.
A. Faculty Association Committees are described in the Faculty Association Constitution, available in VCSU policy V201. These committees include the following:
- Faculty Senate
- Curriculum Committee
- Graduate Council
- Standing Committee on Faculty Rights
- Teacher Education Committee
- Teaching and Learning Committee
- Council of College Faculties
- Diversity Waiver Selection Committee
- Financial Aid Committee
- Academic & Scholastic Standing Committee
- Constitutional Review Committee
- Faculty Advocacy Committee
- General Education Council
- Promotion and Tenure Committee
Committee structure varies by committee, with either divisional representation or elected representatives; in most cases, a faculty member chairs the committee and the administrators assigned to the committee participate ex-officio. The organization, identification of chair, and voting rights for each committee are outlined in the Faculty Association Constitution (V201).
B. Administrative Committee and Advisory Groups are usually chaired by an administrator and do not necessarily have divisional representation. The following are University Committees:
- Academic Assessment Committee: Review and provide direction for Ability Assessment and Learning Outcomes at all levels; oversee peer review process for program updates and reviews; maintain integrity of course evaluation process and develop policy/practices for its use. COMPOSITION: five at-large faculty members selected by Faculty Association; SEGS Director of Assessment, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Director of Institutional Research and Assessment.
- Academic Policy and Affairs Council: Develops and reviews policies that are directly or indirectly related to the University's curriculum, academic policies, and academic programs and policy decisions in: academic standards, development of the library, student conduct and discipline, and faculty tenure and promotion. COMPOSITION: Department chairs. Chaired by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Admissions Appeals Committee: Reviews student appeals for admission to the University. COMPOSITION: Director of Enrollment Services, Registrar, Director of Student Academic Services, two faculty representatives selected by the Director of Enrollment Services.
- Campus Inter-Functional Forum (CIFF): Serves as an informational venue for sharing what is happening in areas across campus in a report-out style. There is a standing agenda, and a brief update is expected with opportunity for discussion/questions from the group if needed. The goal is to support open communication across campus to help all staff feel engaged and informed. COMPOSITION: Staff members from every office on campus, in addition to any academic personnel who would like a line on the agenda. Chaired by Staff Senate.
- Campus Inter-Functional Team (CIFT): Develop, implement, and review student service among the administrative functions to best serve student needs. Coordinate the administration of student information within the ConnectND system. As a partner in the accomplishment of university strategic goals, review campus initiatives and provide administrative perspective regarding the management of those initiatives within the administrative system and structure. COMPOSITION: The meetings have included representatives from the Business Office, Enrollment Services, Financial Aid, Registrar’s Office, Student Academic Services, Student Success, and Distance Learning.
- VCSU Diversity Committee: Working group of individuals committed to creating an environment of inclusive excellence at VCSU. The committee also advises the President of challenges, policies and practices that may hinder the university’s commitment and vision for diversity. COMPOSITION: Director of Diversity Services (chair), 2 staff members appointed by Staff Senate, 2 faculty members appointed by Faculty Senate, 2 students appointed by Student Senate, 1 representative from the Teacher Education Program, Title IX coordinator or designee, 2 community members appointed by the President.
- Institutional Review Board: Safeguards the rights of human subjects in research, development, or related activities undertaken by members of the university community; the Board must review and approve all such proposed activity. COMPOSITION: Director of Institutional Research and Assessment (chair), Academic Affairs Representative (appointed by VPAA in consultation with the IRB Chair), Community Rep, , Education Rep, Program representation, and faculty at large (1) selected by Faculty Association.
- Judicial Council: Hears appeals from VPSA decisions regarding violations of the Student Code of Conduct and hearings on judicial matters. COMPOSITION: Two faculty appointed by the president, three students selected by Student Senate.
- Marketing Committee: A cross-functional group that advises the Director of Marketing on marketing plans and strategies. COMPOSITION: Marketing Director (chair), Graphic Designer, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Director of Graduate Studies, Advancement Office, Athletics, Enrollment Services, Technology Services, 2 faculty reps selected by the Marketing Director, and 1 student rep selected by Student Senate.
- President's Cabinet: Coordinate the functions and advance the best interests of Valley City State University. COMPOSITION: President, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Vice President for Business Affairs, Vice President for Student Affairs, Chief Information Officer, Director of Advancement, Director of Marketing, Director of Athletics.
- Staff Personnel Board: Conduct hearings on appeal from employees who have been suspended without pay, dismissed for cause, demoted, or dismissed due to a reduction in force (HR27) or when a regular staff employee is dissatisfied with an aspect of employment over which the employee has no control and on which remedial action is desired (HR 28). COMPOSITION: Three members appointed by the University President.
- Staff Senate: Representative of Broadbanded staff; to inform and serve. Strive to promote communication among administrators, faculty and staff. COMPOSITION: Approximately seven percent (7%) of the staff employees per category: Professional, Technical/Paraprofessional/Office Support, Facilities; Past President.
- Student Grievance Committee: Resolve student academic grievances. COMPOSITION: Vice President for Academic Affairs, Vice President for Student Affairs, 3 faculty, and 3 students selected by the VPAA and VPSA, respectively, as needed.
- Teacher Education Appeals Committee: Reviews student petitions seeking exceptions to those policies, regulations, or academic requirements of the School of Education and Graduate Studies relate to the Teacher Education Program. Committee will consider the evidence and make a recommendation in the matter. All recommendations and actions of this committee are advisory in nature to the Dean of Education who will render a final decision in a timely manner. COMPOSITION: Three faculty members from the School of Education and Graduate Studies selected by the Dean of the School of Education and Graduate Studies.
- Technology Advisory Committee: Annual information technology planning process and address general policies related to information technology with the purpose of applying information technology in pursuit of the institutional mission and vision. Technology plans and policy recommendations will provide guidance to Technology Services staff, VCSU strategic planning processes, and North Dakota State technology planning activities. COMPOSITION: CIO, two student representatives (selected by Student Senate annually), two staff representative (one representative elected each year by the Staff Senate for a two-year term), one Technology Services representative, one instructional designer (elected by the Instructional Design Team), and four faculty representatives from four different departments (each department may submit a nomination to the faculty association provided the department does not have a faculty members already serving on TAC - members of the association will elect two representatives per year for two-year terms). All elections shall be held prior to October 1 of each year.
- University Hearings & Appeals Board: An avenue of final appeal of a decision by a university official or by an established university committee. A hearing body in matters dealing with alleged violations of the Student Bill of Rights. COMPOSITION: One administrator, two faculty, and two students, all appointed by the president.
- University Policy Committee: To assist in the coordination, development and oversight of VCSU Policies and to ensure that the VCSU Policy Manual is complete and current. This policy brings with it a formal process for achieving its purpose. COMPOSITION: Vice President for Academic Affairs (chair), Vice President for Student Affairs, Vice President for Business Affairs, 3 staff (selected by staff senate; including one member of staff senate), three faculty (selected by faculty association; including one member of faculty senate), Human Resources Director.
- Emergency Management Team/VCSU Loss Control: Recommend programs and policies to promote safety, reduce risks, ensure compliance with laws and regulations, and control costs. COMPOSITION: Campus Safety Coordinator, Director of Facilities Services, Assistant Director of Facilities Services, President, Vice President of Business Affairs, Vice President of Student Affairs, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Director of Marketing and Communications.
Sponsored by: The President
NEW: October 2010
Revised: November 2014
Revised: December 2015
Revised: April 2016
Revised: October 2016
Revised: March 2017