Human resources planning will help ensure that salary dollars are targeted to the highest priority uses for the welfare and progress of the university. The university needs to staff in accordance with the needs of its mission and strategic plan. The current and foreseeable themes of those documents call for an emphasis on staffing for:
- Innovative, flexible delivery of instruction that meets the needs of the individual
- Effective support for appropriate applications of information technologies to instruction and administration
- Academic programs and services that address real-world career opportunities and the ability of students to identify their desired career options and track their progress toward the corresponding skills and abilities
- Capacity to build collaborative relationships with schools, employers, and communities
- Documentation of student learning outcomes and institutional effectiveness
- Enrollment development through retention, recruiting, and meeting new market opportunities
Significant financial reallocation is required by state procedures, constrained resources, and the needs of a dynamic university. The largest financial investment, and by far the most important decisions, of the university relate to how salary funds are invested in human resources.
Members of the Executive Team will each work within their own areas to ensure that all personnel understand the priority themes above and ways in which each person could contribute to one or more of them within the context of their job description. We will work within existing procedures to identify appropriate methods of recognizing individuals for such contributions. In order to ensure that funds for human resources are targeted to their most essential uses, the university will also review every position as it becomes vacant to determine the highest priority use of those salary dollars, restructure and streamline operations, and seek grants and private funds to supplement budgets.
Sponsored by: President
Established: August 1998
Revised: January 2005