RUN. HIDE. FIGHT.
Surviving an Active Shooter Event
If you witness any armed individual or shooter on campus at any time, immediately call 9-1-1 and provide the following information:
- Your Name
- Nature of the incident
- Location of the incident
- Description of person(s) involved
- Number of persons who may be involved
- If shots have been fired
- Injuries (if known)
Should gunfire, weapons, or explosives be involved, avoid the incident. Take cover.
- Notify a Campus Official if you are aware of any threats or have other information that make you suspect an event involving an armed intruder might be possible. If you are living in a residence hall, also notify the Housing Office.
- Trust your instincts. Better to be wrong than ignore warning signs of a possible tragic event.
- If you know or suspect an armed intruder is present on campus, call 911 and provide the information requested. Stay on the line until you are sure no further information is required.
- Once Campus Officials are aware of the situation, the Emergency Notification System will be deployed.
- If you hear gunshots and are able to- RUN. Run as far away from campus as possible. When you feel you are a safe distance away, call 911 and report the situation- do not assume that someone else has called 911.
- If you are unable to leave a building because the shooter is too close or you are unable to evacuate, follow the campus lockdown procedures:
- Do not enter a building during lockdown.
- Move to a securable area (such as an office or classroom) and lock the doors.
- Close the window coverings and move away from the windows. Turn off all lights.
- Make sure your phone is completely silenced (including vibration).
- Get low on the floor.
- Do not let anyone in the room unless they are the Police or other Safety Official.
- In a hostage situation, stay calm, keep everyone together, and stay hidden.
- Remain in your secure area until further direction or the all-clear is given.
- If you are unable to enter a building because of the lockdown:
- Assume that classes will be suspended until the lockdown ends.
- Leave the area and seek safe shelter off campus.
- Return to campus after the all-clear is given.
- Do not leave your room to try to “see what is happening”.
- As a last resort, and only if your life is in danger, you may choose to fight.
- Be aggressive, use improvised weapons (fire extinguishers, scissors, hot coffee, glass items, or anything else available), and commit to your actions.
- Fight as a group if possible. This action also distracts the shooter and allows time and opportunity for police to act.
- If you witness any injuries or deaths, identify yourself to authorities as soon as it is safe to do so.