Recognition at Valley City State University strives to emphasize behaviors and actions supporting the mission, vision, and strategy of the University. The value of this recognition is demonstrated in University performance and excellence.
For eight consecutive years, VCSU has been ranked either first or second in its category and has been North Dakota’s highest-rated Public Regional College. For 19 consecutive years VCSU has been recognized by U.S. News as a “Best College.”
Recognition at Valley City State University is formally approached from many different perspectives: peer-to-peer, student-to-employee,and management-to-employee. Valley City State University intentionally recognizes and fiscally supports formal recognition by the following approaches:
Difference Maker Award
A subcommittee of Staff Senate updated the former Difference is Me award to the Difference Maker Award. Each month, an office group is asked by the subcommittee to nominate someone they feel is a “Difference Maker” for them. The nominee receives a $5 Bookstore gift certificate and a Sodexo gift certificate.
--Sponsored and presented by Staff Senate
Staff Member of the Quarter Award
- Difference Maker Winners
- January 2020 - Sheri Okland
- March 2019 – William Blunck
- April 2019 – Kim Hesch
- May 2019 - Rhonda Fairfield
- June 2019 - Larry Robinson
- July 2019 - William Blunck
- September 2019 - Marcia Pritchert
- October 2019 - Kelly Tabor
- November 2019 - Linda Trzpuc
This quarterly award provides opportunity for employees and students to recognize staff members by nominating them to receive a monetary award and campus-wide recognition by the President and Cabinet. The nomination and award recognize ongoing and continued actions or behaviors furthering the vision and mission of the University.
--Sponsored and presented by the Presidential Cabinet
Student Advocate of the Year
- Staff Member of the Quarter Winners
- March 2020 - Nichole Brockopp
- June 2019 - Haley Jo Jenrich
- September 2019 - Shannon Hone
- December 2019 - Kaleen Peterson
This recognition honors any individual or group that supports, sponsors, and promotes the actions, beliefs, and success of the VCSU student body.
Presented by Student Senate
Student Employee of the Month
This award allows every supervisor of student employees an opportunity to nominate, once a month, a student employee who does superior work and is valuable to their work efforts. From the 9 monthly recipients of this award, a Student Employee of the Year is chosen.
Sponsored and presented by the Office of Career Services
Teacher of the Year
- Student Employee of the Month Winners
- September 2017 - Taylor Balken
- October 2017 - Anthony Whirlwind Soldier
- November 2017 - Oscar Suniga
- September 2018 - Rose Gaffner and Brittany Roney
- October 2018 – Emma Maguire
- November 2018 – Liz Hoeper and Marah Wittenburg
- Survey Link
The award is given annually to a professor who shows dedication to the students of VCSU through innovative teaching methods and continued professional development both inside and outside of the classroom.
--Presented by Student Senate
Years of Service Awards
This recognition honors employees for their dedication in service to fulfilling the University's mission and vision.
--Presented by Staff Senate
7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.