Recognition at Valley City State University strives to emphasize behaviors and actions supporting the mission, vision, and strategy of the University. The value of this recognition is demonstrated in University performance and excellence.
For six consecutive years, VCSU has been ranked either first or second in its category and has been North Dakota’s highest-rated Public Regional College. For 17 consecutive years VCSU has been recognized by U.S. News as a “Best College.”
Recognition at Valley City State University is formally approached from many different perspectives: peer-to-peer, student-to-employee,and management-to-employee. Valley City State University intentionally recognizes and fiscally supports formal recognition by the following approaches:
Difference Maker Award
A subcommittee of Staff Senate updated the former Difference is Me award to the Difference Maker Award. Each month, an office group is asked by the subcommittee to nominate someone they feel is a “Difference Maker” for them. The nominee receives a $5 Bookstore gift certificate and a Sodexo gift certificate.
--Sponsored and presented by Staff Senate
Staff Member of the Quarter Award
- Difference Maker Winners
- October 2015 - Tara Praska
- November 2015 - Joseph Munowenyu
- December 2015 - Mark Potts
- January 2016 - Scott Westby
- February 2016 - Kari Bodine
- April 2016 - Heidi Lindemann
- April 2016 - Jody Henjum
This quarterly award provides opportunity for employees and students to recognize staff members by nominating them to receive a monetary award and campus-wide recognition by the President and Cabinet. The nomination and award recognize ongoing and continued actions or behaviors furthering the vision and mission of the University.
--Sponsored and presented by the Presidential Cabinet
Student Advocate of the Year
- Staff Member of the Quarter Winners
- 2015 1st Quarter - Alice Beauchman
- 2015 2nd Quarter - Deborah Feuerherm
- 2015 3rd Quarter - Erica Buchholz
- 2015 4th Quarter - Kaleen Peterson
This recognition honors any individual or group that supports, sponsors, and promotes the actions, beliefs, and success of the VCSU student body.
Presented by Student Senate
Student Employee of the Month
This award allows every supervisor of student employees an opportunity to nominate, once a month, a student employee who does superior work and is valuable to their work efforts. From the 9 monthly recipients of this award, a Student Employee of the Year is chosen.
Sponsored and presented by the Office of Career Services
Teacher of the Year
- Student Employee of the Month Winners
- January 2016 - Jacob Schlecht
- February 2016 - Samantha Hintz
- March 2016 - Clayton Malinich
- April 2016 - Mikayla Cramer
- May 2016 - Mackenzie Bruce
- September 2015 - Kecia Ellison
- October 2015 - Niklas Ernst
- November 2015 - Leah Shepersky
- December 2015 - Baylee Swenson
- Student Employee of the Month Nomination Survey Link
The award is given annually to a professor who shows dedication to the students of VCSU through innovative teaching methods and continued professional development both inside and outside of the classroom.
--Presented by Student Senate
Years of Service Awards
This recognition honors employees for their dedication in service to fulfilling the University's mission and vision.
--Presented by Staff Senate