The use of human subjects in research requires approval from the IRB before the research procedures are implemented and data are collected.
- The IRB requires that internal reviews be conducted by the Division/School before contacting the IRB.
- Materials for review are then submitted to the IRB chair.
- The IRB chair shall then advise the Division Chair/Dean and project investigators within ten working days whether the project is exempt or requires an expedited or full review.
- If necessary, the IRB chair will call a meeting of the full committee within ten working days (i.e., excluding weekends) of receipt of the materials.
- Review results will be given to investigators within an additional ten days of the meeting.
All completed IRB proposals should include the following:
- Completed IRB Human Subjects Approval Request I form (HSAR I).
- Completed IRB Human Subjects Approval Request II form (HSAR II) as required.
- The following forms and statements must accompany the proposal as required by the project parameters:
1. An Informed Consent Form(s)
2. Signed letter of permission from an authorized institutional representative, if research is to be conducted in an institution such as a school, hospital, etc.
3. Debriefing Statement
- All forms and statements above are required for Expedited and Full Reviews.
VCSU Graduate Students
Graduate students must complete the following before applying to the IRB
- Proposal Approval form and a two chapter proposal approved by their advisor. (Advisor can find it on the Graduate site)
- If subject are over 18 and do not belong to any protected population, complete a debriefing form and an Informed Consent form.
- If the study is taking place in an institution such as a school or disciplinary facility fill out the Administrator's consent form. This is not necessary if the institution has its own IRB process.
- If the students are under 18 years old, complete a Debriefing form and a Parental Consent form.
All forms except the Proposal Approval Form are found on the IRB site under Resources and Forms. The Proposal Approval Form is available at: on the Graduate School website under "Resources for Students and Faculty".
Graduate Students should submit their IRB Proposals to email@example.com
All other IRB Proposals should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org