The North Dakota Academy of Science will hold its annual meeting Thursday, April 24, 2014, in Rhoades Science Center on the campus of Valley City State University.
The meeting includes professional symposia and presentations, graduate and undergraduate student presentations, and the A. Rodger Denison Award competition for best graduate and undergraduate presentations.
At 6 p.m., Donald Schwert, Ph.D., professor of geology and chair of the Department of Geosciences at North Dakota State University, will present the keynote address, “The Geology of Surface Waters of North Dakota,” in the Student Center Skoal Room on the VCSU campus.
Among more than 25 conference presentations are the following by VCSU students, faculty and staff members:
- • “Recovery of a Restored Native Cutthroat Trout Population after Watershed Renovation,” Aaron Burgad (VCSU student), Casey Williams (VCSU assistant professor of science), Carter Kruse (aquatic resource coordinator, Turner Enterprises Inc.)
- • “In Search of the Rusty Crayfish (Orconectes rusticus) in North Dakota,” Thomas Dodson (VCSU student), Louis Wieland (lab manager, VCSU Prairie Waters Education and Research Center), Andre DeLorme (professor, VCSU Department of Science; director, VCSU Prairie Waters Education and Research Center)
- • “Zooplankton, Stocking Density, and Walleye Survival in Ponds at Baldhill National Fish Hatchery,” Amy Doll (VCSU student), Casey Williams, Kurt Eversman (fish hatchery manager), David DeMuth (VCSU professor; executive director of VCSU Great Plains STEM Education Center)
- • “Toxicological Analysis of Coal Fly Ash (FA) Used as Plant Growth Media,” Cody Haggarth (VCSU student), Brandon Meyer (VCSU student), Jerzy Bilski (VCSU assistant professor of science)
- • “Environmental Toxicology and Coal Fly Ash Chemical Composition,” Garrett Hecker (VCSU student), Jerzy Bilski
- • “Using Mussel Population Data as an Indicator of Stressors in the Sheyenne River,” Josue Hernandez (VCSU student), Louis Wieland, Andre DeLorme
Founded in 1908, the North Dakota Academy of Science promotes scientific research and the dissemination of scientific knowledge. More information about the annual meeting can be found online at www.ndacadsci.org/annual-meeting