Sep 9th, 2011 @ 6:38 am | Author:
Dr. Steve Shirley, president of Valley City State University, is being inducted into the Fargo South High School Hall of Fame. Individuals selected for this honor must have brought special recognition to themselves or the school by demonstrating high qualities of character and leadership, or have given meritorious service to the school.
Dr. Shirley graduated from Fargo South in 1990, and earned his Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Business Administration and PhD in Teaching and Learning: Higher Education, all from the University of North Dakota. He has served on the faculty of the University of Minnesota, Crookston (UMC), and was the Vice-President for Student Affairs at Dakota State University (DSU) in Madison, SD. At age 35, Dr. Shirley became president of VCSU, making him one of the youngest college presidents in the country. Under his leadership, VCSU has seen several significant accomplishments the past three years including:
- three consecutive years of enrollment growth to near record levels;
- the largest number of on-campus residential students in over a decade;
- a legislative appropriation of $10.3 million for the Rhoades Science Center capital construction project;
- the creation of two new academic centers: the Great Plains STEM Education Center, and the Prairie Waters Education and Research Center;
- new and expanded international relationships with universities in Mexico and China;
- the establishment of new intercollegiate athletic programs.
In his letter recommending Dr. Shirley for this honor, North Dakota University System Chancellor William Goetz said, "During his presidency at VCSU he has brought energy to the campus, respect of students, faculty, staff and his administrative team. His dedication to higher education in particular at VCSU has meant new initiatives, given the recognition that the ever changing dynamics of higher education also means changing dynamics for VCSU. You have a great candidate in consideration of Steve Shirley."
The induction of Dr. Shirley and five other honorees is taking place at a ceremony being held in conjunction with South's 2011 homecoming activities.
Valley City State University (VCSU) prepares people for life through visionary leadership and exemplary practices in teaching, learning and service. VCSU is nationally acclaimed for attracting and retaining talented individuals who advance quality learning opportunities and economic growth through technology and innovation.