An individual member of the faculty, administration, or professional staff desiring to make formal application for a leave without pay should make early and informal contact with his or her immediate superior, Division Chair, or Vice President. During this early and informal contact in an interview setting, questions regarding basic eligibility, Board policy, and the rationale for the potential request should be reviewed.
an eligible faculty member, administrator or member of the professional staff may request an application Form AA-15-2004 on the H: Drive under Office Public Academic Affairs. be submitted to the appropriate Division Chair or Supervisor. The application will be reviewed through channels by a panel of faculty appointed from within the appropriate Vice President. Where a member of the administration or professional staff is involved, the application will be reviewed by the appropriate Supervisor and Vice President. Specific comments and recommendations will be made at each level of review on Form AA-16-2004.

The President of the University will notify the applicant of the nature of the comments or recommendations and his or her decision to endorse or not to endorse the application. If the President endorses the application, a formal request for authorization will be transmitted to the State Board of Higher Education through the Office of the Chancellor. Prior to the submission of a formal request to the State board of Higher Education, the applicant will sign a memorandum of agreement which will specify the terms of the leave and be countersigned by the University President.

Sponsored by: Vice President for Academic Affairs
Reference: Faculty Senate and Academic Policy and Affairs Council, 1983.
Reviewed: Winter 1996