It’s a great day to be a Viking!
Valley City State University is a thriving university clearly focused on the student. As a first-generation student myself, the learner-centered approach at VCSU is very important to me. The core values of the university listed below serve as the “magnetic north” for leadership decisions and are precisely why I eagerly submitted my application to serve VCSU as president:
- Mission Driven: We are committed to a learner-centered philosophy. We make education meaningful with positive relationships and effective practices.
- Quality and Integrity: We have high expectations for results, integrity, and positive interpersonal relations in all we do.
- Innovation: We are flexible, creative, and free to try new things. We have a strong work ethic, positive attitude, and open mind. We embrace change.
- Community: We trust each other, we work well together, and we are involved with our local and extended communities.
- Diversity: We believe that diversity of all kinds enriches the quality of thought, discussion, and learning.
The campus visit was my opportunity to learn if these words were simply nice words written down on a piece of paper or values truly embraced in word, thought and deed by the university members. Throughout the selection process I continually found evidence that these values are lived every day and that the university is an amazing collection of people who make a distinct difference for our students and our community.
Who wouldn’t want to be part of such an outstanding institution that consistently exceeds expectations, dreams big, delivers on the promise of student success, and stands together. I am so proud and honored to be selected as the 13th president of VCSU.
Bill and I are very grateful for the enthusiastic welcome to both the campus and the community. What a joy to be part of such a caring community which consistently demonstrates a genuine appreciation and love for the university! Although it was the university mission that led to my application and ultimately the decision to accept the offer, it was the people who stole our hearts. Thank you, members of the greater Valley City community. We look forward to seeing you around town.
Indeed, it is a great day to be a Viking!