Emergency Fire Plan
- Familiarize yourself with primary and secondary evacuation routes, nearest first aid stations, fire alarms stations, fire extinguishers, telephones, and stairways.
- Activate the nearest fire alarm pull box and call the Valley City Fire Department at 9-911. Give as much information as possible (name, location, type of fire, others in the building). Setting off an alarm automatically notifies the Power House.
- Attempt to extinguish the fire ONLY if it is very small and you have been trained in proper operation of a fire extinguisher. Always activate the fire alarm system first.
- Only take medications and valuables, IF there is time.
- When the fire alarm sounds, immediately leave the area and assemble as the assigned "Evacuation Assembly Point".
- When evacuating, do not use elevators; Walk- do not run!
- If using stairways, stay in single file and keep to the right as fire department personnel may be coming up the stairway.
- If a student, employee or visitor has a disability or needs assistance evacuating, assist them to an "Area of Rescue Assistance" or Area of Refuge that is away from obvious danger. Then go to the building evacuation assembly point and notify the on-site Emergency Response Officials of the location of the person in the Area of Rescue Assistance. **The Area of Rescue Assistance is located next to each stair case entrance, unless otherwise instructed.
- Close all doors behind you to help contain the fire.
If you know the cause of an accidental false alarm, notify VC Police immediately and make yourself available to the responding police and fire officials outside the building as appropriate to help them confirm the source.
Building Evacuation Assembly Points
Hardwired smoke detectors are installed in the majority of the Campus Academic Buildings. Smoke detectors in the buildings do not require any employee maintenance or battery replacement. Employees are not to cover or hang any items from smoke detectors.
Campus Academic Buildings have a sprinkler system to provide for additional safety in the event of a fire. Employees and students must be careful not to damage, tamper with, cover, or hang items from the sprinkler heads or an accidental discharge of water may result. In addition, employees may not store personal items within 18" of any sprinkler head.
VCSU Safety Office
Valley City State University
101 College St SW
Valley City, ND 58072
Toll Free: 800.532.8641 ext. 37710
Safety Coordinator | Risk Management Contact