Welcome to Valley City State University!
Chosen 19 years in a row as one of the top public regional colleges in the Midwest by U.S. News & World Report, VCSU welcomes students from around the world to our friendly, technology-enriched campus of just over 1,400 students.
Take a look at our website and you will see that we offer excellent advantages to a student wanting to study in the United States, including: 11:1 student to faculty ratio; over 80 academic majors from which to choose; a laptop computer; numerous student organizations to involve yourself in the campus, and much more.
VCSU Makes Transferring Easy
If you are a international transfer student from an institution of higher education located outside the United States, you may be wondering if any of your previous work will apply to your VCSU degree, and it just might! In order for us to evaluate your previous coursework, VCSU requires students seeking to have credits transfer use the Worldwide Education Services (WES)
organization to have the course descriptions interpreted. The Registrar's Office will then receive the information to better evaluate what credits will transfer.
Canadian students do not need to use WES. However, you must have an official transcript sent to VCSU directly from the university attended.
To find out more about this service, click on either hyperlink to WES
. If you have any questions, email VCSU today!
United States SEVP Guide to Becoming a Student in the US
In the column to the left are links to information about VCSU, including information on admission and acquiring the Form I-20. For a complete guide to regulations set forth by the United States Student Exchange Visitor Program, which provide tips and requirements for entry and maintenance of the student visa status, go to the SEVP
Canadian Student Border Entry Information
VCSU welcomes numerous Canadian students to our campus each year. To assist in making your travels across the border and to campus as smooth as possible, we have created a quick link
to the official information produced by our embassy in Ottawa. Much of the information is general in nature, but you should pay close attention to the first couple of links on the site. Be advised that you must present the VCSU issued Form I-20 each time you cross the border. Also, be sure to pay the SEVIS fee prior to crossing the border
If you have any questions, please contact us using the Office Information
located on the right side of the webpage.
Pre-Arrival Packing & Weather Information
When you start to pack, remember to pack some pictures from home. These pictures will help you feel not so far from your family and friends. Pictures are also a great conversation starter with your roommates, classmates, faculty and staff. If you have any other cultural items that can travel easily, bring those too! Also be sure to pack your toothbrush, tooth paste and other toiletries and personal care items.
Bring a good selection of clothes that can easily adjust to climate changes. During the spring, summer and fall months, students typically wear shorts. In the winter, it is important to dress in layers to keep warm. Layering your clothes helps keep your body heat in and the cold wind out. For example, students may layer by wearing a t-shirt or long sleeve shirt under a sweater. The winter months can be very cold at times, so wearing a hat, gloves, and boots is a great idea. If you don't have some of these items, they can be inexpensively purchased at one of our thrift stores located close to campus.
The climate in North Dakota is one of the most varied in the United States. Because of our position on the continent and our latitudinal position on earth, we experience a wide variety of weather phenomena. On average, the temperature ranges from 86 to -15 degrees Fahrenheit or 30 to -26 degrees Celsius. Extreme temperatures can be as high as 105-110F degrees, or as low as 30-40F degrees below zero.
You will need to have some money on hand when you arrive in the United States so you are able to cover any variable expenses. Your travel itinerary may have you waiting in airports for several hours, so you will want to be able to purchase meals, snacks, etc.
The laptop computer you are provided to use while you are enrolled in classes at VCSU is also a great tool for keeping in touch with friends and family back home. Email is a great way to keep in contact, especially due to time differences. Your laptop is equipped with a webcam so that you can video chat with your friends and family as well!
Want to Learn More About Valley City, North Dakota?
If you would like to learn more about Valley City, North Dakota, go to: www.hellovalley.com
If you have any other questions related to VCSU or Valley City, contact the Enrollment Services Office by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Airport Pickup Information for International Students
- Valley City State University works with the Valley City South Central Transit Service to offer both bus and taxi service to and from Hector International Airport, Fargo, ND. International students who are flying to or from school can request taxi service at anytime of the day or night. The taxi service is available for about $65.00 dollars. The $65.00 dollar fee can be shared by multiple riders.
- International students must advise Enrollment Services one week prior to their travel and Enrollment Services will be happy to arrange your transportation. However, students are responsible to pay the taxi service upon pickup.
- In addition to the taxi service, a small bus or van makes a trip into Fargo every weekday. Anyone can ride on the bus for a charge of $10.00. The bus leaves Valley City between 7:00 AM and 9:00 AM, Monday through Friday, and returns mid to late afternoon. The schedule for this transportation depends on the number of riders and the type of trips made within Fargo. The bus will drop-off and pick-up passengers anywhere in Fargo, including the airport.
- Bus reservations can be made by calling 1-701-840-4300. Transportation needed between 5:00 PM and 8:00 AM can be reserved by calling 1-701-840-1406 or calling Rod Grafing at 1-701-840-1405.
- Notify Enrollment Services immediately if there are any changes in your flight information.