A Tech-Filled Learning Environment
In addition to the laptop, education students get an iPad on a full-time basis when they enroll in the Educational Technology class. Students have access to laser printing and they can check out video projectors, cameras, speakers and more. All classrooms are equipped to use the laptops, including student tables and chairs, big screen projectors, cameras and microphones. High speed wireless connectivity is everywhere, providing convenient access to a range of industry leading online and cloud computing services. Every VCSU class has an online presence, while maintaining the personal attention of small class sizes. This technology combined with skilled faculty and staff results in a more convenient and active learning environment.
Technology Desk Information
Technology Service Desk
Rhoades Science Center, Room 117
7:45 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (fall and spring semesters, closed on holidays)
Summer hours: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
(701) 845-7340 (option 1)
All full-time students and faculty, as well as most staff, are issued either a MacBook Air or a Microsoft Windows based laptop.
Full-time VCSU students, selected other collaborative students, and full-time faculty receive the latest model computer. Part-time students have a choice of either a current model laptop (depending on availability) or a previous model laptop at a lower cost.
Five Reasons Students Love This Program
- FUN and EffectiveLearning is More FUN and EffectiveBreak free from the exclusive "learn by listening" teaching method and experience a "hybrid classroom" that combines the personal attention of the traditional classroom with online instruction, including Internet resources on demand, rich audio visual presentations, electronic handouts and threaded discussions. You will be actively involved in learning as you use the computer to solve problems, create projects, participate in teams, access information and communicate with others.
- Competitive EdgeYou Gain a Competitive Edge in the Job MarketBy using a PERSONAL computer in virtually every aspect of your learning and business at VCSU, you will gain valuable skills and insight into the typical professional use of computers in a modern organization. The active learning environment described above also empowers you to develop other skills important to employers, such as the ability to work in a team, problem solving, communication and interpersonal skills. Employers understand and respect this experience.
- Convenient and EfficientPortable Computing is Convenient and EfficientForget about waiting in line for a computer or having to remember when the "computer lab" is open. Store your information on the hard drive and back it up on your personal space on a VCSU server. Add your own programs, organize your files into folders, and set the sound to your personal needs without worrying about someone else changing or deleting things. Use it, any time, any place.
- Higher ProductivityYou Experience Higher Productivity and Reduced Technical IssuesStop fussing with technical issues and get down to the business of exchanging documents, collaborating on projects, and communicating with others. If you have a question, it's likely that the person next to you can help, since everyone has a standard set of hardware and software. When University technical personnel create a solution, it works for you. Because VCSU obtains institutional site licenses you save a bundle on software purchases. Plus, professional staff install it for you.
- Right Amount of TechnologyThe Right Amount of Technology is Always AvailableYou will never need to go to class without a working computer! If you have a problem, VCSU's on-site service center can fix the computer on the spot or provide you with a loaner at no additional cost. VCSU guarantees students two or three new notebook computers and annual software upgrades during the typical four years of study.
Service Desk Staff
Enterprise Systems Staff
Video Production ManagerDepartments
Bookstore and Food Service, Enterprise Systems, Student Center, Technology ServicesOffice Location
- Rhoades Science Center 210