Skip to main content

Unlock Answers: FAQs Explained!

Where do I begin?
The Enrollment Services Office will help you begin your experience at Valley City State University. Call Enrollment Services at (701) 845-7101 or (800) 532-8641 ext. 7101. You may also contact Enrollment Services by email at

Do I qualify for admission to the university?
Valley City State University requires students to complete a core group of high school courses to be eligible for admission as a freshman and a minimum GPA as a transfer applicant. There is no minimum ACT/SAT score required. Review our Admissions Guidelines for details.

How do I start the admission process? Are there any deadlines?
Your first step in applying to the university is to complete the application for admission. Fill out the online application here. If a paper application is needed, please contact the Enrollment Services office. Although there isn’t an official application deadline, there are scholarship and financial aid deadlines, as well as residence hall room availability that may be jeopardized by applying late. Apply as soon as you are able. The $35 application fee may be paid online.

How much is it going to cost?
Your cost depends on where you come from. For complete cost structures, review our Tuition and Fees schedule.

Am I eligible for financial aid?
The first step to applying for financial aid is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). VCSU’s school code is 003008.

Am I eligible for scholarships?
Valley City State University offers numerous scholarships to new and returning students. Scholarship eligibility for new students is based on your high school GPA, class rank, and ACT or SAT scores or college GPA for transfer students. Scholarships for returning students are based primarily on the GPA earned at VCSU. For more information, new students should contact Enrollment Services and returning students should contact the Financial Aid office.

I want to become a teacher. Who do I talk to?
There are a number of sources to help you examine the teaching profession. You may contact Enrollment Services or the School of Education and Graduate Studies to learn about our program and the profession. You may also visit with your high school teachers to gain insight into the profession.

Do I have to pay the technology fee even if I own my own computer?
Yes. The technology fee pays for more than just the computer. You are given access to the internet, your own email account and software. The help desk is also available to you. This, plus maintenance of the network, printers, and paper are all provided through this fee. Having all students on the same software/hardware platform creates a powerful environment to support teaching and learning.

Do I have to live on campus?
VCSU requires all freshmen to reside on campus and be on the board plan. We have found that the residence halls provide a unique living experience that is a key ingredient to the total education program. The residence halls provide a wide variety of educational, cultural, and social programs throughout the academic year.

How do I get an academic advisor?
The Office of Student Academic Services coordinates academic advising. You will be assigned an advisor according to your academic interest.

Is there an orientation program?
Yes. If you are starting the fall semester, you will have the opportunity to register for classes during new student orientation in the spring or summer. You will be contacted by the university to sign up for your date of preference. The fall opening activities weekend begins the Friday before the start of classes with activities ranging from Notebook Computer Distribution to social activities, floor meetings with your RA, and group events to help you feel confident on campus. The orientation program continues throughout the fall semester in your Learning to Live, Living to Learn class, which covers topics related to college and life experiences.

My computer knowledge is limited. Are training opportunities available? 
When new students are issued a notebook computer, they take a short Care/Use of Notebook Computer class to learn about basic features of the notebook computer. It is recommended that students take CIS 170 Introduction to Computer Information Systems during their first semester on campus to gain the skills necessary for maximizing the benefit of the notebook in their coursework. Help Documents are also available online to provide quick learning guides for the software and network services available at VCSU.

How do I get my VCSU transcripts?
Valley City State University provides official transcript ordering online. Current and former students with online Campus Connection access may order official transcripts in Self Service. Individuals without a Campus Connection account may order directly from the National Student Clearinghouse.