The website presenting VCSU's 2011 Self-Study Report for the Higher Learning Commission, together with the resources for each chapter, is now available at VCSU HLC 2011 Report
Please take a look-and read as much of the Report as you have time for! Thanks to Steve King, Joseph Munowenyu, Kathryn Woehl, Benjamin Ferguson and Patricia Fisher for their efforts to collect all the documents, insert hyperlinked citations, and organize this website for our visit. They have spent several months developing this electronic resource room for our review team.
The 2001 Self-Study theme focused on "A Decade of Transformation." The 2011 Self-Study theme is "Building Momentum," indicating an implementation phase, as faculty, staff, and students adapted, re-invented, and sought new innovations that built on the transformative culture established in the 1990s. The events of this past decade point to a developing momentum that has generated optimism, program expansion, increased enrollment and funding, facility renovation, and increased energy for the opportunities that lie ahead.
VCSU has changed quite a bit in ten years. Chapters 1-3 develop the context for the report, highlighting events over the past decade and VCSU's response to concerns from the last HLC visit. Here are a few highlights from Chapters 1-3, that illustrate how much we have changed:
1. Back in 2001, VCSU was still sharing its president with Mayville State, we hadn't heard the phrase "ConnectND," and "per credit tuition" was still in our future.
2. The following programs are new to VCSU since the last visit:
· The Graduate Program (M.Ed.)
· Fisheries and Wildlife Science
· STEM Education
· Health Science
· Enterprise Applications
· Professional Communication
· Prairie Waters Education and Research Center
· Business Process Integration Management
· Medical Laboratory Science
3. Our response to the flood events of 2009 provides strong evidence of VCSU's flexibility and quick response to changing circumstances. It also illustrates how deeply technology has been integrated in our courses, office practices, and campus culture.
The Review Team will be here in two weeks. Watch for a few more emails from Dr. Dahlberg highlighting other aspects of the Self-Study.