This is a short update of IT projects that will either directly impact VCSU users, or that users have been asking about:
· VCSU will NOT change LMS for the next academic year. We will continue to use Blackboard. Any possible change to an NDUS LMS would involve training next academic year with a transition in the summer of 2013. Nothing is certain at this point and it is possible that Bb Learn could become the NDUS standard. We need to wait to see what the SBHE oversight committee decides.
· We will upgrade Blackboard Learn to Service Pack 8. We do not anticipate significant impact on users, just a few new features/enhancements. Timing of the upgrade will be announced well in advance of the implementation.
· Tegrity has been selected as an NDUS standard and this will replace Panopto. As Brad Mills mentioned in a previous message, we will transition from Panopto to Tegrity and we will work to migrate the Panopto recordings to Tegrity as identified by faculty. Panopto will remain in operation until at least October. Tegrity training will be provided prior to the start of fall semester.
· Wimba is being phased out as a product and it will be replaced by Blackboard Collaborate. This change will occur gradually during next academic year to allow for faculty training. Blackboard Collaborate is currently available and the instructional design team is gearing up to assist other faculty with this software.
· We do not anticipate a need to re-image Lenovo laptops. There will be an upgrade to Cisco CUPC or Personal Communicator client, but we anticipate providing this to users in the form of a download.
· Apple MacBook laptops will be upgraded to OSX Lion operating system. This will require a re-image and users are encouraged to bring their MacBook to the Helpdesk in Vangstad 116 any time after August 1 and before the fall rush. Faculty may wait until Welcome week, if necessary. Please have your personal files backed up before coming to the Help Desk. This process may take around an hour to complete.
· A new ID Card system, branded as the "Viking Card," will be operational on July 12th. Users will need to get a new ID card from the Student Center Information Desk and this can be done any time after July 15th or faculty may want to wait until Welcome week. The Viking Card will have significantly increased functionality versus the current ID card. For more information and ongoing updates, go to www.vcsu.edu/vikingcard/
· A new classroom AV standard is being developed. The standard is based on a campus wide meeting earlier this spring and additional input from the instructional design team. We anticipate applying this new standard to the Rhoades auditorium (room 102 in the new building numbering system) and Graichen 005 this summer. These rooms will serve as pilots that will allow for additional hands-on use and feedback. Initial training in the fall will likely be targeted to individuals who plan to teach in these rooms. New features we are trying to incorporate in the classroom standard include microphones that will better facilitate classroom recording and web streaming; a more intuitive, easy to use system; digital writing capability; and display of Apple iPads.