In accordance with North Dakota Century Code 44-08-04.2 any state agency shall advance at the request of the agency head for employees of that agency funds to be used for payment of meal and lodging expenses incurred while the official or employee is traveling on official business of this state, provided that such travel must be planned to be in excess of five days per month, whether or not consecutive, and provided that the funds advanced do not exceed eighty percent of estimated expenses for the period. Travel advances must be approved by the chief executive officer or a designee of the agency involved. Funds advanced for meals and lodging under this section must be accounted for as required under section 44-08-04 travel.

  • To Request an Advance
    • Complete an Employee Travel Advance Worksheet - per diem rates and lodging rates based on travel quarters and locations are still applicable to an advance
    • Complete a Voucher (Request for Payment) payable to the employee and code it with the proper meals and lodging account codes
    • Attach the Employee Travel Advance Worksheet as documentation for the Voucher and retain a second copy for later
    • Submit to the Business Office for payment
  • Upon return from travel
    • Complete an employee travel voucher - detail all expenses including those required on the advance
    • In the lower section record the "Employee Advance amounts" this will then be subtracted from the total reimbursable amount
    • Attach the additional copy of the Employee Advance Worksheet and all necessary invoices
    • Submit to the Business Office for Payment

Office Information

Office Location
McFarland 215

Office Hours
Academic Year
Window: 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Office: 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Window: 7:45 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Office: 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Email Address

Phone Numbers
Toll Free: 800.532.8641, ext. 7232

Fax Number

Mailing Address
Business Office
Valley City State University
101 College Street SW
Valley City, ND 58072