Dr. Alan LaFave
VCSU is one of the fastest-growing regional schools in the upper Midwest and we continue to have sustained enrollment growth. But that success and growth have helped us realize our current facilities are well-loved, but inadequate.
Dr. Alan LaFave, VCSU President
W.E. Osmon Fieldhouse Addition
The W.E. Osmon Fieldhouse was built in 1960 and has remained largely the same. Over the last 60 years, Viking Athletics has outgrown the facility. Our athletes have increased from 111 to nearly 300; more than 20 athletic staff have been added; and teams on campus have doubled.
Our vision for expansion includes a multi-purpose indoor facility, along with an expanded weight room, a new Hall of Fame, and other critical spaces for a growing program. Your investment in this vision honors our tradition of success and is vital to building future Viking champions.
The addition will include:
- Indoor turf practice facility
- 200 meter indoor track
- Updated strength and athletic training
- New and expanded locker rooms
- Updated and expanded public areas
- Classrooms and meeting rooms
- Viking Hall of Fame
Athletics has always been an engine for high performance and institutional pride. This campaign is about allowing our student-athletes the chance to have an experience second-to-none, build character, and compete for championships.
Jill DeVries, Director for Athletics
VCSU’s ability to attract and retain students is paramount to our future success. Our record enrollments over the past several years have expanded the need for additional scholarship support.
The goals of our scholarship enhancements are:
- Keep scholarship allotment on pace with enrollment growth and inflation
- Maintain an accessible and affordable VCSU education
- Recruitment and retention of the next generation of VCSU Vikings
McCarthy Hall Repurpose
This former lab school is scheduled for a complete refurbishing with cutting-edge labs, updated technology, modern classrooms, student workspaces, and the replacement of the HVAC systems. The facility will become the new home of the VCSU School of Education and Graduate Studies.
The renovation and repurposing of McCarthy will include:
- Converting the existing McCarthy Hall into the School of Education and Graduate Studies
- Cutting-edge classrooms and technology labs
- Collaborative student workspaces
- Attractive two-story atrium entrance
- Bridge corridor from McFarland Hall
- Updated instructional technology
- Updated mechanical, HVAC, and electrical systems
- Extensive exterior renovation
This campaign is significant. It’s an investment in the future of VCSU and the community. The Valley City Barnes County Development Corporation has long believed that this university is an economic engine upon which we can build.”
Jennifer Feist, Director of Development, Valley City Barnes County Development Corporation
Student Center Renovation
With the opening of the Wellness Center in 2016, the Student Center swimming pool was closed. Now there is an urgent need to convert the square footage in the former swimming pool area into a large multipurpose room to be used for student activities, special events, conferences, career days, and more.
The Student Center renovation will include:
- Converting available square footage from pool closure into usable space
- Create banquet and meeting spaces for:
- New student orientation
- Career fairs and organizational meetings
- Esports competition venue
- Other student activities
The success we have enjoyed has resulted in an all-time record enrollment, and outstanding accreditation reviews. Our Forward Together campaign builds on that success and captures that momentum as we look to the future. The projects included in our campaign focus on our students, protecting our core values of innovation, collaboration, and learner-centered educational opportunities and experiences.
George Gaukler, Chairperson, Forward Together campaign
- Forward Together
VCSU Receives Capital Campaign Gift from BEK CommunicationsAug 19, 2021
- Forward Together
VCSU Receives $500,000 Capital Campaign Gift from Dacotah BankAug 16, 2021
- Alumni & Friends
Valley City State University to Launch Forward Together Capital CampaignJul 16, 2021
- Forward Together
Moving Forward TogetherJul 16, 2021